In safe paws
Honey’s takes your privacy seriously. We are committed to protecting your personal information. This policy sets out how Honey’s uses the information that you give to us in order to provide you with our products, services and advice, when requested.
About Us – Honey’s
Honey’s is a traditional, family-run business. Our kitchens are based in the depths of rural Wiltshire. We take farm animal welfare very seriously and use only ethically produced, British ingredients (all our products are either free range, wild or organic).
Almost all our customers come by word of mouth. We only provide our products direct to customers. We are always happy to offer free advice, recipes and tips. Our vet and other experts will be only too pleased to answer questions, from customers and non-customers.
We donate 1% of our total sales to Compassion in World Farming, which uses it to campaign for better treatment of farm animals. We also give away hampers of food, treats and our books to any good canine cause that approaches us. No reasonable request for support is ever turned away.
We are members of the PFMA and sit on the Raws Group Committee. Our complete food is compliant with FEDIAF. In line with legal requirements we are registered and approved by DEFRA. Our registration Approval Number 45/112/8002/ABP/PTF
We are Certified Organic by OF&G.
We have obtained ISO140001 environmental accreditation.
Who we are
Our company name is The Darling Experiment Limited (TDE).
We are responsible for the following brands: Honey’s Real Dog Food, Beautiful Joe’s Ethical Dog Treats and The Good Food Garage.
Our registered office is Unit 2 Uffcott Farm, Uffcott, Wiltshire SN4 9NB
Our company number is 6862946.
Our postal address is:
Honey’s Real Dog Food
1-3 Salisbury Road Business Park
Wiltshire SN9 5PZ
Your Information – what we collect and how we use it
The Darling Experiment Ltd (TDE) collects information from the public in a number of different ways. For example, we ask for contact and other information when members of the public contact us for information about dog food. This may include information such as your name, email address or phone number in the first instance. We use this information to keep a record of our communications with you.
If you decide to make a purchase from us we need to gather such additional information as your delivery address, a second contact name, second contact details, any alternative delivery address (for example your holiday home) and a password for your account. We also take details about your dog or cat. These would include name, date of birth, breed and medical history.
In order to process and deliver your goods we will pass your address, phone number and email address on to our courier partners. They are data controllers in their own right and are fully responsible for the legal safeguarding of your information.
Our payment processing partner is Total Web Solutions. They are fully PCI DSS Level 1 compliant and secure their systems to the highest standard.
We will use your personal data to contact you with information and updates with regards your order or enquiry. This may be by post (within your parcel delivery) email, telephone or text message, depending on your preferences. We will also continue to ask about your marketing preferences, to ensure that you are still happy to be contacted by us and by which means.
Unless otherwise stated we will keep your data secure for six years after your final transaction with us.
What the Law says about protection of personal information
The Law on Data Protection is derived from various pieces of legislation (can be found in a number of places). These include the Data Protection Act and the incoming General Data Protection Regulation (the ‘GDPR’) which will become enforceable in May 2018. The GDPR states that personal data (information relating to a person that can be individually identified) can only be processed if there is a legal ground to do so. Activities like collecting, storing and using personal information would fall into the GDPR’s definition of processing. The GDPR provides six legal grounds (reasons) under which personal information can be processed (used) in a way that is lawful. For the processing to be permitted by law (lawful), at least one of the legal grounds must apply.
The four legal grounds that are most relevant to TDE’s use of your personal information are:
- Legitimate Interest
- Legal Obligation
How the law applies to TDE’s use of personal information
TDE will only use your personal information if we have:
- Asked you and have a record of your express and recent consent for us to do so.
- A ‘Legitimate Interest’ to do so to ensure we deliver your order and service your account to the best of our ability. Including reminding you via email when you might have run low on food. Our use will be fair and balanced and never unduly have an impact on your rights
- A sales contract with you that we can only fulfil by using your personal information, e.g. to send you a product that you have purchased
- A legal obligation to use or disclose information about you, e.g. A court order may require us to process personal data for a particular purpose.
In extreme situations, such as an accident or medical emergency, we may share your personal details with the emergency services if it is essential for the preservation of life (yours or another persons’) for us to do so. This is the ‘vital interest’ ground for using your personal information. After the emergency, we will always try to inform you about how we had to use your information in that extreme situation.
We will not unduly prioritise our interests as a pet food manufacturer and retailer over your interests as an individual. We will always balance our interests with your rights. We will only use personal information in a way and for a purpose that you would reasonably expect in accordance with this Policy.
TDE will not rent, swap or sell your personal information to other organisations for them to use in their own marketing activities. We will on occasion put a leaflet about goods or services we feel might interest you, into your delivery box.
TDE will always ask for your consent before we communicate with you for certain purposes. For example, we will only email or phone you about your dog food quote if we have an accurate record of your recent and freely given consent to do so.
You can withdraw your consent at any time by phoning 01672 620260 or emailing
There are times when it is not practical to obtain and record consent. At those times, we will only process personal information if that processing would meet another legal ground e.g. Contract or Legitimate Interests, in which case we would only process in accordance with the law’s strict rules on legitimate interest processing.
For the purchase of one off items, purchasing on an ad hoc basis, purchasing regularly or purchasing using a standing order.
We will collect the required data in order to prepare, pack, take payment and send your order to you. We will contact you by phone or email to ensure your first order is as expected and to check that you are happy and your dog/cat has taken to the new food / products. We will not contact you after that point, unless you are purchasing regularly or by standing order. Your data will remain on our secure database until you decide to close your account or it will automatically be archived after 14 months of no activity and deleted after 6 years.
What is Legitimate Interest
This legal ground for processing means that organisations can process your personal information if they:
1. Have a genuine and legitimate reason for doing so
2. That use does not harm any of your rights and interests as an individual
TDE’s Legitimate Interest
We do not unduly prioritise our legitimate business interests as a pet food manufacturer and supplier over your interests as an individual. We always respect your rights. Which is why we carry out a balancing exercise of the rights of the business with the rights of our customers and prospective customers.
We believe that the best way to look after the interests of our customers and prospective customers is to consider their unique requirements and product and service expectations. As a result, we have established the following categories of TDE customer and prospective customer. This provides us with an additional method for assessing that we use your personal information in a way that matches your relationship with us; your interests; and your expectations about your rights.
The groups for our data protection customer needs assessments are, people that have:
- Requested advice only
- Requested a quote and supplied verbal and / or written personal data
- Regularly ordered from us and have requested timely reminders
- Requested regular standing orders
What we have a Legitimate Interest to do
We believe that people who contact us are interested in nutritional advice and purchasing the food we manufacture. Unless you tell us not to, we think you are content for us to process (keep and use) your personal information for the following lengths of time. As of May 2018, we promise not to keep your personal information for longer than we specify below. This is not the length of time that we will continue to contact you – this could be a shorter period of time (see below for an explanation on our personalised approach to communications).
- Requested advice onlyMinimal data – just the means to enable us to give advice. Will be automatically archived after 3 months, deleted after 6 years. Or you can request at any time to have your data deleted by calling 01672 620260 or emailing email@example.com
- Requested a quote and supplied verbal and / or written personal dataMinimal personal data will have been supplied, normally an email or phone number plus information about the animal the food is for. Will be automatically archived after 3 months, deleted after 6 years. No contact will be made once the quote has been supplied and we have checked that you have received the information you need. You can request at any time for your data to be deleted by calling 01672 620260 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Regularly ordered from us and have requested timely remindersWe will collect the required data in order to prepare, pack and send your order to you. We will contact you by phone or email to ensure your first order is as expected and to check that you are happy and your dog/cat has taken to the new food / products. We will set up a regular reminder service which is an email created and sent by our database approximately one week before you are likely to run out of food to remind you that you might like to order more supplies. This will continue unless you tell us to stop or if you do not respond to us after two rounds of contact it will automatically stop. We will then endeavour to contact you to see if you would like your account closed and data removed. Your data will remain on our secure database until you decide to close your account or it will automatically be archived after 14 months of no activity and deleted after 6 years.
- Requested regular standing ordersWe will collect the required data in order to prepare, pack and send your order to you. We will contact you by phone or email to ensure your first order is as expected and to check that you are happy and your dog/cat has taken to the new food / products. We will then arrange for a regular standing order of food to be despatched to you at agreed intervals (usually every 4 weeks). You will receive an email sent by our database approximately one week before your delivery confirming the date the food will arrive and giving you the option of cancelling or re-arranging the delivery. You can stop your deliveries at any time prior to despatch and you can request your account to be closed and data removed. Your data will remain on our secure database until you decide to close your account or it will automatically be archived after 14 months of no activity and deleted after 6 years.
Legitimate / Contractual Interest to process your information
We aim to be clear about what information we collect, to enable you to make meaningful choices about how it is used. When it is necessary we will contact you for administrative purposes, e.g. to contact you regarding a new order, payment or delivery or to understand your next order requirements. We will also hold the minimum personal information required to service your account and support our ability to respect your preferences for communication with us.
Your data is only shared with our partner data processers or data controllers in order to fulfil a request from you, for information or products and services from Honeys. For example your delivery data will be transferred to our trusted couriers to enable delivery of your goods. Your card details will be input into our fully compliant payment provider’s secure system in order to process a payment if you choose to pay for goods by card. In these circumstances it is necessary for TDE to give relevant staff at our service providers access to your personal information. This access is only granted to the extent necessary for them to perform their services for us. We require all service providers to comply with strict rules to protect the information you have given us.
We do not share, sell or swap your information with other organisation for their own marketing.
Like all organisations, we comply with requests for the disclosure of personal information where this is required or permitted by law . This could include requests from law enforcement or tax agencies. In these circumstances, the request must be submitted in writing and in accordance with the relevant legal requirements.
If you believe your privacy rights have been violated, you may file a complaint with us or with the Information Commissioners office https://ico.org.uk/
Cookies and Web Privacy
TDE guarantee our commitment to respecting and protecting your online privacy.
This includes your need and your right to know what we do with the personal information you share with us. It also guides our company’s policies regarding the management of this data, including how the information is collected, processed, and for what purposes.
The collection of information
Every time you log on to our website your IP (Internet Protocol) address registers on our servers. Your IP address reveals no information other than the number assigned to you. We do not use this technology to get any personal data against your knowledge or free will (i.e., automatically recording e-mail addresses of visitors). Nor do we use it for any purpose other than to help us monitor traffic on our website, or (in case of criminal activity or misuse of our information) to cooperate with law enforcement.
The list below describe the cookies we use on this site and what we use them for.
First Party Cookies
This website uses three web analytics tools – Google Analytics, Clicky Analytics and Yandex Metrica to help us improve the usefulness of the site.
These tools use ‘cookies’ – text files kept on your computer to collect standard internet log info and movement on the website in an anonymous form. The info generated by the cookie (including IP address) is transmitted to the respective provider.
This info is used to give us a better understanding of how people use the website.
We use Google Analytics and AdWords remarketing codes to log when people view specific pages on this website. This enables us to provide targeted advertising.
If you do not wish to receive this type of advertising you can opt out using the DoubleClick opt-out page or the Network Advertising Initiative opt-out page.
Find out more about Google’s position on privacy as regards its analytics service.
Third Party Cookies
We have no third party cookies.
The emails that we send you have no tracking in them at all. They are informative emails responding to a request for information and service emails with invoices attached.
Financial transactions made online to TDE using this site are secure. No one can access your credit card details via the Internet.
How our website works
When you have completed your order, your web browser will be connected directly to our secure server. You can see that the connection is secure by looking at the padlock or key icon in the bottom left hand corner of your browser. Your browser may also alert you to the fact that you are connecting to a secure server, and if so, it will also tell you when you are closing the secure connection once you have made your payment. This is for your information only.
Our secure server communicates with your browser using SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) protocols, so that all your personal information, including credit card number and your name and address, is encrypted. This process takes the words and figures you enter, and converts them into bits of code that are then securely transmitted over the internet.